Arts Montco is proud to be partnering with Musicopia and Montgomery County Community College to bring the Gift of Music to one of Montco’s most popular destinations, the King of Prussia Mall.
Throughout the month of July, the King of Prussia Mall will host a multitude of musical ensembles at various locations within the mall, in celebration of music in the community. Performances will occur throughout the week, including a jazz brunch series on Sundays.
“We strive to produce programs and events at King of Prussia Mall that our visitors will connect with and enjoy,” says Kathy Smith, Director of Marketing at King of Prussia Mall. “When we can partner with organizations like Musicopia, Montgomery County Community College, and Arts Montco, while also promoting an important cause, it’s that much more meaningful.”
Musicopia aims to provide opportunities for children to experience, learn, perform, and appreciate music. Since its founding in 1974, Musicopia has helped more than 300,000 children experience the benefits of first-hand exposure to the arts and is a recognized leader in rebuilding and revitalizing school music programs.
The Gift of Music program promotes music and arts education opportunities throughout the Philadelphia area public schools via the expansion of music departments and instrumental equipment for students.
In addition to the July jazz program, the King of Prussia Mall will also host a musical instrument drive in partnership with Musicopia. During the month of July, visitors can bring lightly used instruments to the Concierge desk to donate to Musicopia’s “Gift of Music” Instrument Drive Program.
Instruments donated to the “Gift of Music” program will be refurbished and donated to students in Philadelphia area schools. Please refrain from donating pianos, organs, or accordions. All instruments must be playable and in good cosmetic condition.
Donations will grant students the ability to learn, perform, and flourish as young musicians in tandem with the general education curriculum. Over the past decade, Musicopia has collected over 4,000 instruments for schools and children in need.
“Musicopia reaches and positively impacts students in the Greater Philadelphia area who may otherwise not have access to music education,” says Leslie Macedo, Musicopia’s Program Director. “And, while many of our students are eager to play an instrument, they cannot afford to rent or buy one. We are extremely grateful for this partnership with King of Prussia Mall that will allow even more students to enjoy the gift of music with the help of community instrument donations.”
The July Jazz live performance schedule at the King of Prussia Mall is as follows:
- Friday, July 5 – Minas (Brazilian) 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Savor
- Saturday, July 6 – Spice Route Trio (Middle Eastern) 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Savor
- Sunday, July 7 – Musicopia Royals Drumline 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Grand Lux Patio
- Friday, July 12 – Minas (Brazilian) 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Savor
- Saturday, July 13 – Minas (Brazilian) 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Savor
- Sunday, July 14 – Dende Macedo (Recycled Sounds) 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Grand Lux Patio
- Sunday, July 14 – Montgomery County Community College Jazz Ensemble 12:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Savor
- Saturday, July 20 – Dende Macedo (Recycled Sounds) 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Savor
- Sunday, July 21 – Dende Macedo (Recycled Sounds) 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Grand Lux Patio
- Sunday, July 21 – Montgomery County Community College Jazz Ensemble 12:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Savor
- Friday, July 26 – Spice Route Trio (Middle Eastern) 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Savor
- Saturday, July 27 – Leana Song (Afro-Cuban) 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Savor
- Sunday, July 28 – Dende Macedo (recycled Sounds) 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Grand Lux Patio
- Sunday, July 28 – Montgomery County Community College Jazz Ensemble 12:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. Savor
“It is important that our community is offered unique ways to see arts and culture on a regular basis,” says Jessica Willingham, Director of Government & Cultural Affairs for the Valley Forge Tourism & Convention Board. “This is the perfect opportunity to promote the lively arts in an inspiring way for the visitors of King of Prussia Mall to enjoy all month long and also offer a way to give back.”
Through this incredible partnership, the King of Prussia Mall, Musicopia, Arts Montco, and Montgomery County Community College will strive to raise awareness for music education programs, inspire students, and entertain all who wish to join in and celebrate the gift of music.