Valley Forge Freedom from Hunger Food Drive
The Valley Forge Tourism & Convention Board’s (VFTCB) 9th Annual Freedom from Hunger Food Drive has surpassed its 60k goal by raising the monetary equivalent of 98,604 pounds of food. That means the organization’s fundraiser has contributed 262,604 pounds of food over the lifetime of the drive, which began in 2015.
All proceeds support the MontCo Anti-Hunger Network.
MAHN provides resources to almost 70 free meal providers that feed almost more than 20,000 households and almost 65,000 individuals who are food insecure in Montco.
So far, here are ways community businesses are donating to the 9th Annual Freedom from Hunger Drive:
- Blossom Café in Skippack’s Blueberry Muffin Latte portion proceeds from drinks sales & they matched by 10 - $350 (3,600 pounds of food).
- Throughout September and October, Workhorse Brewing Company in King of Prussia will honor a $1 donation for every Workhorse Punchcard Series draft sold in those two months. - $1,848 (22,176 pounds of food)
- Vitality Bowls donating $1 for every savory item – $774 (9,288 pounds of food)
- Sheraton Valley Forge donated $1,000 (12,000 pounds of food).
- Madden Media donated $500 (6,000 pounds of food).
- King of Prussia Mall donated $500 (6,000 pounds of food).
- Valley Forge Casino Resort donated $500 (6,000 pounds of food).
- Black Powder Tavern donated $250 (3,000 pounds of food).
- PPL donated $250 (3,000 pounds of food).
- Xfinity Live donated $250 (3,000 pounds of food).
- Brothers Kershner donated $250 (3,000 pounds of food).
- Mall Movies donated $65 (780 pounds of food)
- Giant Willow Grove donated a $50 gift card (600 pounds of food).
- Individuals donated $1,630 ($325 from VFTCB Annual Lunch) (19,560 pounds of food)
Per Nokidhunger.org, for every dollar donated, seven meals – or 12 pounds of food – can be provided by using money to buy food in bulk to give to families in need. Monetary donations are most impactful to aid with purchasing high-demand and much-needed items, including for personal care, such as: toothpaste/toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, diapers, underwear, t-shirts, etc.
MAKE A MONETARY DONATION
In place of a physical donation, monetary contributions are accepted and appreciated. Monetary donations are handled by the MontCo Anti-Hunger Network (MAHN). MAHN will use the funds to purchase highly needed requested food items like eggs, poultry, and ground beef to feed Montgomery County residents in need.
If you, or someone you know, is in need of assistance, we encourage you to view the list of food pantries and soup kitchen in the MontCo Anti-Hunger Network.
About Freedom from Hunger
The Valley Forge Freedom from Hunger Food Drive was created as a farewell "gift" to Pope Francis in 2015 when the Pontiff stayed in Montgomery County at the St. Charles Borromeo Seminary during the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia. Now in its ninth year, the drive continues to support the community that the tourism board diligently promotes to visitors across the nation and around the world.