Friday, July 6 – Oaks, PA – As it prepares to raise its massive Big Top in Oaks, Cirque du Soleil announced that its new production VOLTA, will be opening on Thursday, July 12. The show will be taking place under the Big Top adjacent to the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA - just minutes from King of Prussia, PA - until August 5. VOLTA is written and directed by Bastien Alexandre and with Jean Guibert as the director of creation. International electronic composer and musical director Anthony Gonzalez, from worldwide renowned group M83, brings his space-age future pop sound to the Cirque du Soleil stage for the first time ever. The name VOLTA refers to a sudden about-face, a change in emotion or idea often used in poetry. It also speaks to the jolt of energy delivered through the show.
VOLTA is a story of transfmation. It is about being true to oneself, fulfilling one’s true potential, and recognizing one’s own power to make it possible. Ultimate freedom comes with self-acceptance, and with the liberation of the judgement of others. Inspired in part by the adventurous spirit that fuels the culture of street sports, the show weaves acrobatics in a visually striking world driven by a stirring melodic score.
A few facts about the VOLTA Big Top and the Cirque du Soleil village:
- The Big Top seats more than 2,500 people
- The entire site set-up takes six days. This includes installation of the Big Top, the entrance tent, the VIP tent and the rehearsal spaces
- The Big Top is held down by roughly 500 stakes
- The Big Top can withstand winds up to 120 km/h (75 mph)
- It measures 51 meters in diameter and is supported by four 25-metre steel masts
- The cupola is 19 meters above the ground
- The light-colored canvas helps counter the effects of the sun, thereby reducing energy consumption and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions
- VOLTA travels via 72 trailer trucks carrying close to 2,000 tons of equipment
THE CREATIVE TEAM
VOLTA’s creative team comprises 15 creators under the artistic guidance of Jean-François Bouchard:
- Bastien Alexandre: Writer and Director
- Jean Guibert: Director of Creation
- Bruce Rodgers: Set Designer
- Zaldy Goco: Costume Designer
- Anthony Gonzalez from M83: Composer and Musical Director
- Julie Perron: Choreographer
- Martin Labrecque: Lighting Designer
- Thibaut Duverneix: Video Content Designer
- Jean-Michel Caron: Sound Designer
- Anne Séguin Poirier: Props Designer
- Rob Bollinger: Acrobatic Performance Designer
- Philippe Aubertin: Acrobatic Performance Designer
- Jaque Paquin: Acrobatic Equipment and Rigging Designer
- Eleni Uranis: Make up Designer
- Manon Beaudoin: Character’s guide
VOLTA will be presented under the Big Top beginning July 12, 2018 adjacent to Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA. Tickets are available starting from $49. They can be purchased at www.cirquedusoleil.com/volta or by calling 1-877-9CIRQUE (1-877-924-7783). Parking is free. Guests can also discover the Hennessy Black VIP Experience package – a cocktail reception with open bar and hors d’oeuvres inspired by the show, access to the best seats for greater comfort, complimentary parking and more!
VOLTA MEDIA ACCESS LIBRARY
Official Video B-Roll: https://app.frame.io/f/5649bd1c-4f6b-4659-b4b8-8b2821599950
Official Video Big Top Raising: https://app.frame.io/f/430e074a-ad9b-4b8a-81d8-3549a51b0493
Costumes: Zaldy / ©2017 Cirque du Soleil Inc.
We gratefully acknowledge our Official Partners, Hennessy Black and Sirius.
Twitter: @Cirque #VOLTA
Instagram: cirquedusoleil #VOLTA
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP
VOLTA is Cirque du Soleil’s 41st original production since 1984, and its 18th show presented under the Big Top. The company has brought wonder and delight to more than 190 million spectators in more than 450 cities on six continents. Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group has close to 4,000 employees, including 1,400 performing artists from close to 50 different countries.
For more information about Cirque du Soleil, visit www.cirquedusoleil.com.
CJM Public Relations
Carole Morganti – CJMpr01@aol.com - 609-953-0570
Bryan Buttler – firstname.lastname@example.org – 609-902-0923