Book by Marsha Norman
Music & Lyrics by Brenda Russel, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray
Directed by Amina Robinson
Executive Honorary Producers: Tom & Carol Beam
Associate Honorary Producers: Hugh & Carmen Simmons
Experience our intimate production of this epic musical from Alice Walker's beloved novel.
"I'll write you every day. Nothin' but death will keep me from it!" So goes the promise Celie's sister vows as the young sisters are stripped from one another's lives in this intensely moving chronicle of a Southern family in the twentieth century. With a Grammy Award-winning score of jazz, ragtime, gospel, and blues, The Color Purple stays true to Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, following resilient Celie on her life's journey over half a century—through joy and despair, anguish and thrilling hope—to discover her destiny and the power of love. Helmed by local director and Broadway performer Amina Robinson, this uplifting production will stay with you long after its exuberant finish.
Saturday, December 1 at 3 p.m.
What is a relaxed performance?
Relaxed performances are specially adjusted sensory-friendly shows, designed to create a theatre experience that is welcoming, judgment-free, and inclusive of children and families with a wide range of sensory, learning, and communication differences, including, but not limited to individuals on the autism spectrum, as well as young children and anyone who might benefit from this relaxed environment.
Performance Adjustments Include:
- House lights will remain on at a low level in the theater during the performance;
- Lower sound levels, especially for startling or loud sounds; (or refocusing of those moments)
- A reduction of startling and/or strobe lighting;
- Freedom to talk, vocalize and leave seats during the performance as needed;
- Space available throughout the theater for standing and movement and;
- Limited crowds and visitors through the theatre lobby during the day and timing of the performance.
- We invite you to bring noise-cancelling headphones, fidget and stress sensory toys, and/or anything else you may need to ensure maximum comfort and safety.
The Color Purple
- 401 Dekalb St
- Norristown, PA 19401
- Theatre Horizon