There are 63 hours between 5 p.m. on a Friday and 8 a.m. on a Monday; that's plenty of time away from work to get out and about in Montgomery County, Pa., and enjoy yourself.
The following recommendations should help:
- The Philadelphia Folk Festival tunes up all weekend long, from August 15-17, at the Old Pool Farm in Schwenksville. Ticket options are many, from the full slate of performances (80 separate acts on six stages) to the ability to drop in. The event also includes workshops, food, crafts and memorabilia. In-depth coverage of "Fest" was included in our blogs of August 5 and August 13.
- Collegeville Restaurant Week continues until Sunday, August 17. The influx of chain restaurants in the area has been a boon to the local economy, but the Collegeville Economic Development Corporation, in sponsoring its first-ever foodie celebration, spotlights the dining experiences of independent culinary artists. More than a dozen eateries are offering mouth-watering price fixe meals.
- The Grand Theater, East Greenville, Pa., is screening Planes: Fire & Rescue all weekend long (August 15-17). The feature, projection technology and sound equipment are all 21st century, but the surroundings are a fully restored 1920s movie palace. Better still, admission is only $3 for matinees (2 p.m. and 4:15 p.m.) and a mere five bucks for the evening shows (7 p.m.).
- The family fishing program at Green Lane Park on August 16, is a chance to give this relaxing sport a try. A park ranger from the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission covers aquatic ecology, fishing equipment and techniques. Rods, tackle and bait are supplied, and no license is required. Guaranteed to be a reel good time.
- The "Dragons and Damsels" presentation at Norristown Farm Park (August 17) is not storybook time. The focus is on dragonflies and damselflies, which represent an order of insects that has been on the earth since before the dinosaurs. Learn about their life history, territorial behavior and how to recognize individual species.
Some of those weekend hours should include a restful sleep and a hearty meal. Our website offers a variety of accommodation options, from swanky to homespun. For a relaxing dining experience, we recommend the Garden Grille & Bar.