Valley Forge National Historical Park
On December 19, 1777, George Washington led a weary Continental Army into Valley Forge. For the next six months, the hills along the banks of the Schuylkill River would serve as the Army's home.
The men built hundreds of small log huts, each one serving as quarters for a dozen soldiers. For these six months, Valley Forge was one of the largest cities in the colonies.
Washington made his headquarters in a large stone home. The building could be considered the "Pentagon" of its time, as it is was the place where Washignton and his highest-ranking officers worked and lived during the encampment. It is open for tours year-round (weekends only January 4 through March 4).
On June 19, 1778, after months of drills and training, the Continental Army marched out of Valley Forge as an elite fighting team, one capable of taking the fight to their British foes.
For more information on the history of Valley Forge, please visit Patriot Trails, our interactive Revolutionary War History Tours. Here you can dig deeper into the history of the Park and Revolutionary War-era sites throughout Montgomery County, including battlefields, historic homes where George Washington made his headquarters, and encampments sites.