Grandparents Day Weekend Events
Multigenerational Make it Montco Moments
September 7 has been dedicated to celebrating the special bond between grandparents and grandchildren since it was officially adopted as a holiday in 1978. As the years have passed, it has grown in popularity, even inspiring a signature tune, "A Song for Grandma and Grandpa," that mentions the specific activities that define the tight bonds between generations: a walk in the park, a trip to the zoo, chocolate ice cream cones, picnics and parades.
All these experiences - and more - can be shared in Valley Forge & Montgomery County, PA.
- Explore a world of kid-friendly adventure at the Elmwood Park Zoo. See the bison, feed the giraffes, and enjoy an afternoon among the animals. September 7 is your last opportunity to visit the Birds of Paradise exhibit to meet the zoo's resident sun conures (parakeets).
- Indulge with a cone of made in Montco ice cream at Merrymead Farm. The working dairy farm offers more than 30 flavors of homemade, hand-dipped ice cream including Chocolate Raspberry Chip and Moose Trail that are perfect for a refreshing late-summer treat.
- Turn back the clock with a shopping trip to Edwards-Freeman Nut Company. Grandparents can reminisce about their own childhood while exploring the aisles filled with candies from their youth like BB Bats, Circus Peanuts, Necco Wafers and more.
- Let your imagination take flight with a trip to the Harold F. Pitcairn Wings of Freedom Museum. Both children and adults will be in awe as they explore the 17 historic and modern aircraft on display on the museum's grounds.
- History buffs both young and young-at-heart can unplug during a weekend trolley tour at Valley Forge National Historical Park. The 90-minute ride around the encampment site appeals to visitors of all ages and features stops at the Muhlenberg Brigade huts and Washington's Headquarters.
- Unplug on a trip through the gardens of Morris Arboretum during their Grandparents Day celebration on September 7. Enjoy a musical program by Miss Marcia of Kids' MusicRound, a craft activity and a story walk (children's story book is recreated on signposts and placed for taking a short walk to read the pages).
- Celebrate your culture during the Grandparents Day celebration at the National Museum of American Jewish History this Sunday. Free for grandparents and children 12 and under, the museum invites generations to explore their exhibits, watch a film, or read a story together in a cozy spot. Release your creative spirit with Chasing Dreams-themed arts and crafts and have fun outside with special activities on the Museum Plaza.
View of Calendar of Events for even more ways to explore your freedom this weekend in Montgomery County.